Sunday, July 17, 2011

We survived our first church camp!!!






Olivia and I took off for Pre-teen camp this past week. Her first time to go and my first time as a counselor! Daddy has wanted Olivia to go practically since she was born. He has so many memories of church camp and he wanted the same thing for Olivia. Olivia wasn't ready to go until this year and probably because her mother was coming along.
I have to say I was very proud of my little girl. She did not cling to me at all. She went off and made new friends and had a great time. I thought I would see her at meal times but usually she and her friends were sitting together and her mother was an after thought and I was thrilled.
At first I was concerned she was going off to camp without a friend and not really having many friendships with the kids there. In retrospect, that is the way to go. When you bring a friend or already have a friend you want to hang with you don't get out of your comfort zone and make new friends!
Olivia crossed a big hurdle this summer and realized just what she can do on her own. I know the thought of having her mom close by was comforting but I think next year she can make it on her own, though I had so much fun, I just might want to go back. This time with a eggshell for the plywood I had to sleep on!

No comments: