Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Olivia CAN let her nails grow!


I made a bet with Olivia a couple of weeks ago that if she grew her nails out I would take her to get a manicure. Now getting a manicure is a big deal. I am one of those mothers who thinks taking 5,6,7,8,9 and 10 year olds to get there nails and toes done is ridiculous. Don't we already give our kids too much too early as it is? So, if they start expecting manicures at 6......well it can only go down hill from there. Therefore, we have always done our manicures and pedicures at home. But I decided to make an exception because I needed an extra special reward in hopes of getting Olivia to stop biting her nails! It drives me NUTS! Her little nubby nails just looked pitiful all the time. She would want to paint her nails and I would tell her...you have nothing to paint, let's do your toes! I guess she finally got tired of hearing me go on about her lack of fingernails. One day she told me she was going to stop biting her nails. Well, I jumped on that one fast and made deal with her completely believing she would never stop biting her nails. She would come home from school and tell me mom I'm not biting my nails anymore. I would look at her little nubs and think....yeah right! WELL....yesterday I looked at her hands and actually saw signs of a white nail emerging! I was so excited I wanted to throw a party. I went on and on about how good her nails looks and how proud I was that she had stopped biting her nails. I told her they needed to get a little longer before we go get a manicure, but I do believe she is well on her way! Good job Olivia, momma is really proud of you and I am sorry for not believing you could do it!

No comments: